Depending on the type and severity of your glaucoma, Dr. Kambo may recommend one of the following treatments:
- Eye drops to lower intraocular pressure
- Laser treatment to increase the drainage of fluid from your eye
- Glaucoma surgery to create new drainage pathways in your eye
GLAUCOMA LASER EYE SURGERY
Common to older patients, glaucoma is an eye disease that affects usually the peoples after 60 years . If left untreated, the condition can eventually lead to blindness.
Some instances of glaucoma can be effectively addressed with medications. In other cases, traditional or laser surgery is needed to relieve pressure in the eye. Common laser procedures include:
- Argon Laser Trabeculoplasty (ALT): Effective in approximately 75% of cases, ALT is used for individuals with primary open angle glaucoma. In this procedure, fluid drainage is increased by opening the trabecular passages.
- Laser Peripheral Iridotomy (LPI): Performed on those with narrow-angle glaucoma, this procedure promotes fluid drainage and increase the angle between the cornea and iris. This is done by using the laser to make a miniscule hole in the iris.
- YAG Laser Cyclophotocoagulation (YAG CP): This treatment is used for patients with significant glaucoma damage. The procedure reduces intraocular fluid by eliminating the ciliary body that produces it.